Director of Fashion and Styling Product
At Rent the Runway, our mission is to make women feel empowered and self-confident every single day by combining best in class technology, logistics, and customer service. Since our launch in 2009, we’ve developed proprietary technology, a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation, stores of the future, a viral brand, relationships with hundreds of fashion designers - and we are passionate about continuing to innovate our customer experience. We have pioneered the closet in the cloud and believe that every person globally will soon have a subscription to fashion. We are proud to be both a profitable and fast-growing business, with 11 million members of our community who believe that rental is the future.
About the Job:
Director of Fashion and Product Styling is responsible for leading the team to style on-figure, and on model PDP images for presentation on Rent The Runway. Creating an innovative, varied, and brand-conscious looks that display a thorough knowledge of fashion and current trends with an acute eye for fit and detail.
About the Team:
The Buying organization, while scaling rapidly, operates day to day as a tight knit team. We are big believers in teamwork, and partner cross functionally with other teams across the company. We consider ourselves experts in textile fabrication, and pride ourselves on the strengths of our relationships with our 500+ designer partners in the marketplace. A few fun facts: We are made up of a handful of Yoga instructors, Soul-Cycle fanatics, TV nerds, Bravo experts, and are not afraid of a Karaoke microphone.
What You’ll Do:
- Manage a team of 2-3 stylists, and 2-3 sample coordinators
- Guide styling direction for ecomm shots as well as facilitate editorial photoshoots
- Perform administrative and organizational tasks associated with the position including the creation of shot lists for all styled RTW products and facilitating the “On The Model” process, ensuring that all product information is properly captured and fully executed
- Maintain knowledge of current trends in fashion and styling and bring innovative ideas and inspiration to the Styling team
- Ensure styling aligns with the vision of Rent the Runway while also considering vendor aesthetic
- Expedite product on set and throughout the web studio to meet business demands
- Efficiently work with Styling Management to execute and minimize reshoot requests
- Partner with Styling team to maintain clean and organized sets, workspace, and styling prop closet inclusive of regular prop rotation and awareness of OH inventory
- Work with site merchandising to ensure timely posting
- Style editorial projects for creative web content as needed
- Seek out solutions to inefficiencies within the studio and propose new styling processes that could improve overall image quality or address opportunities
- Partner with Fashion office, as well as site-merchandising to ensure that styling is both compelling and evergreen
- Partner with marketing to support company messaging initiatives (seasonal campaigns, category launches, etc.)
- Coordinate with production on establishing and optimizing photo studio budget
- You are self-driven, curious, and eager. You work well among various types of personalities and thrive in a work-hard, play-hard environment.
- BA and/or 5-10 years of experience, 3-4 years of which involved managing a team
- Current knowledge of fashion trends and high-end designers
- Ability to create fresh and innovative looks while maintaining brand standards and overall wearability
- Technical styling skills and knowledge of appropriate garment fit across product categories
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills
- Strong communication skills and ability to articulate thoughts and ideas clearly and effectively
- Ability to make decisions and work well with others in a fast-paced, collaborative studio environment
- Experience working in a Photo Studio or e-Commerce retail setting is preferred
- Ability to be an effective team player
- Sharp eye for product photography and visual composition
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and well-being of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- Industry leading 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Many other amazing perks!