Director, Curriculum Development
The Director of Curriculum Development manages the relationship for Curriculum & Learning with the academic leadership across her/his portfolio of 2UGrad degree programs. The program lifecycle includes course planning and development over a two- to three-year period, ongoing evaluation of course performance with 2UGrad program management and academic leadership, as well as oversight for the ongoing revision and evolution of each degree curriculum. The Director develops a successful partnership with each university program and its faculty, so that our curriculum exceeds the business and educational goals of our partners, and that students have the opportunity for a transformational experience with superior learning outcomes.
The role of the Director is essential to the consistency and continuity of our communications with external partners. For each assigned program, the Director of Curriculum Development is the primary interface between 2UGrad Program Management and the teams in Curriculum & Learning. The Director coordinates the course development process with the program business objectives and establishes a successful working relationship that meets the needs of our university partners.
This position reports to the Senior Director, Curriculum Development.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To
- Overall relationship management between Curriculum & Learning and academic leadership for assigned 2UGrad degree programs
- Collaborate with internal 2UGrad teams to successfully onboard new programs, and to project 3-year plans for course development and launch schedules
- Drive successful fulfillment of curriculum requirements between program leadership and their designated faculty, including effective involvement of Strategy, Course Development and Iteration across the program lifecycle
- Direct Course Development teams in fulfillment of curriculum requirements
- Provide ongoing course development status updates to academic leadership and 2UGrad Program Management; identify opportunities for and drive fulfillment of program improvements
- Determine annual course development needs in collaboration with academic leadership and 2U Program Management for each degree program and propose to Curriculum & Learning Leadership Team for prioritization and scheduling
- Establish Course Development budgets aligned to Operations P&L and approve any variance
- Keep Curriculum Leadership Team informed of emerging curricular needs and program requirements for portfolio
Things That Should Be in Your Background
- Demonstrated success in relationship development and account management
- Ability to drive performance and accountability of cross-functional teams
- Experience with online education or training (higher education experience is strongly preferred)
- Excellence in spoken and written communications, especially customer-facing presentation skills
- Demonstrated success in driving solutions in a fast-paced and rapidly-evolving environment
- Ability to adjust communication style and level of detail relative to audience, from senior leaders to working teams
- Strong organization and analytic skills, with demonstrated problem-solving success
- Strong negotiator who can balance and prioritize partner requirements against budgetary and functional constraints
- Budgetary and schedule responsibility in a high-performance environment
- Excellent organizational and multitasking skills with superior attention to detail
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 6+ years in account management, engagement leadership or consulting (higher education preferred)
- 3+ years working directly with Academic administration and/or leadership (e.g. Deans or Provosts)
- Experience in curriculum management and/or course development for online learning (or comparable experience in an academic setting)
- Familiarity with web-based delivery and video technology
- Consistent success in leading high-stakes projects or initiatives
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Advanced degree or coursework
- Previous experience defining, communicating and driving fulfillment of product requirements
- Product management or development responsibility for digital products or services
- Previous experience leading teams without direct reporting authority
- Familiarity with Learning Management Systems and content accessibility requirements
- Travel estimated to be 20 - 30%.
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
We believe there should be no back row in higher education. For more than a decade, 2U, Inc., a global leader in education technology, has been improving lives by powering the world’s best digital education. As a trusted partner and brand steward of great universities, we build, deliver, and support online graduate programs and certificates for working adults. Our industry-leading short courses, offered by GetSmarter®, are designed to equip lifelong learners with in-demand career skills. To learn more about 2U and No Back Row®, visit 2U.com.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities of our employees. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by the ways in which we are different, as well as the ways in which we are the same.
Why It’s Great to Work at 2U
2U offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places. We wear jeans to work and fuel brainstorming sessions with snacks and seltzer.
2U offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life insurance, disability and 401(k)
- Unlimited snacks and drinks
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Generous paid leave policies including a PTO allowance for your vacation, personal, or sick days
- Additional time off benefits include:
- time off to volunteer for non-profit organizations
- parental leave after 12 months of employment
- holidays that include a winter break from Christmas through New Year and more!
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits, pay and dismissal.