Creative Content Editor
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm makes it easier to be smarter. We are redefining how to build products that fit into routines, and we take a user-centric, collaborative approach while doing so. theSkimm started as two friends on a couch and have since purchased more couches and gotten new friends, er... employees. Skimm HQ works hard but knows when to take breaks and when it's time to update the Spotify playlist. We drink the kool-aid but know we're drinking it. Through our suite of products, we are disrupting routines and information consumption one Skimm'r at a time. Come join us, we're changing things.
theSkimm is looking to hire an Creative Content Editor. The Editorial team is a collaborative group of journalists from traditional media backgrounds. They understand how to write high quality journalism, while putting it in theSkimm’s distinct voice for the newsletter. And now, we're transitioning that voice into other mediums, like video and audio. The Creative Content Editor will work closely with the Editorial and Production teams to translate content into video and audio scripts.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Writing in theSkimm's distinct voice. This role will be primarily focused on researching and writing scripts for audio and video, and is not for someone interested in their personal byline.
- Fact checking audio and video scripts for completeness and accuracy.
- Prepping research for video and audio interviews.
- Turning newsletter content into digital content that jumps off the screen
- Working closely with the production team to bring audio and video scripts to life.
- Working closely with the editorial team to ensure video and audio content reflects theSkimm’s editorial voice and maintains our news reporting quality standards.
WHAT WOULD SET YOU UP FOR SUCCESS
- At least 3-5 years of traditional newsroom experience and working in a breaking news environment. This is non-negotiable, and this is not an entry level position.
- A track record of working effectively under short deadlines and in high pressure environments.
- Being passionate about news reporting and journalism.
- The ability to write in the voice of a character.
- Passion for theSkimm and its mission, and a strong understanding of our brand.
- Being a self-starter AND a team player who goes above and beyond to get the job done.
- A Bachelor's Degree in Communications or Journalism (preferred).
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Experience in media development and strategy.
- Experience creating branded content.
- Comfortable publishing in WordPress.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life and Disability (starting day one)
- $400 annual gym reimbursement
- MassMutual 401(k) program
- Flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Catered lunch on Fridays
- Snacks, coldbrew on tap, and lunch on Fridays
- Collaborative office space and roof deck
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY