Branded Content Editor
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 75 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm is hiring a Branded Content Editor to communicate theSkimm’s mission to our audience in multiple formats. Reporting to the Managing Editor of Branded Content, you’ll join our growing branded editorial unit and work closely with the sales team to execute best in class campaigns, writing for theSkimm’s unique voice across a variety of platforms including our flagship newsletter, web, audio, video and social products. You’ll be a guardian of the brand’s voice and tone while playing a critical role in helping the business develop and execute new branded initiatives.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Brainstorm and execute content for branded partnerships with both upstarts and Fortune 500 companies through pre-sale and post-sale process
- Write and strategize branded content for a variety of platforms, including newsletter, web, audio, and video
- Proactively pitch best-in-class concepts and respond to incoming RFPs
- Partner with the sales team on campaigns & work with affiliate partners to create effective content while maintaining theSkimm's brand and editorial standards
- Write daily content about deals, product recommendations, and occasional product round-ups, continually improving on content formats to drive traffic & sales conversions
WHAT WOULD SET YOU UP FOR SUCCESS
- 3-5 years of experience working as a branded content editor or brand creative
- Excellent writer with the ability to write in the voice of a character
- Expert knowledge of media trends and innovation on web, video, social, and audio
- Experience creating content for a variety of client categories including finance, food & bev, entertainment, retail, and beauty
- Passionate about theSkimm and its mission
- A self-starter and a team player
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Being a news junkie
- Experience in media development and strategy
- Experience communicating with standards and practices reps
- Digital video scripting and producing experience
- Strong financial client expertise
WHAT WE OFFER
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability Insurances, starting on your first day!
- Competitive salary & equity packages alongside annual performance reviews aimed at rewarding and recognizing our diverse talents
- Flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- MassMutual 401(k) program
- One Medical Membership
- Subsidized family planning and fertility benefits through Carrot Fertility
- Up to $400 in annual gym-membership reimbursement
- Collaborative office space with a mix of snacks, seltzer, caffeine and a pretty sweet roof deck
- Catered meals and drinks during our weekly "Sip’n Skimm" all-hands meeting and monthly "Skimm'e A Drink!" happy hour
- The opportunity to be part of a friendly, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter.
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY